Thursday, January 1, 2009

Speaking in generalities

Today, as I was eating black-eyed peas and greens with the inlaws, I decided to look up the why-withall of this New Year's Day tradition...so here it is...courtesy of wikipedia.

"Hoppin' John is the Southern United States' version of the rice and beans dish traditional throughout the Caribbean. It consists of field peas or crowder peas (black-eyed peas) and rice, with chopped onion and sliced bacon, seasoned with a bit of salt. Some people substitute ham hock or fatback for the conventional bacon; a few use green peppers or vinegar and spices. Throughout the coastal South, eating Hoppin' John on New Year's Day is thought to bring a year filled with luck...The peas, or beans with little black “eyes,” signify coins. Fill your plate with them and your cup will run over, as in the 23rd Psalm, perhaps. Collard greens along with this dish are supposed to also add to the wealth since they are the color of money. On the day after New Year's Day, leftover "Hoppin' John" is called "Skippin' Jenny," and further demonstrates one's frugality, bringing an even better chance of prosperity in the New Year, it is hoped."

So, there you have it.

There's no tradition, really, to eating strawberry swirled cheesecake for breakfast, but that's what I did this morning. It was yummy but I sure did feel all heavy and slow on my pitiful little four-miler just now.
Oh, well.
Still, four miles after having cheesecake for breakfast is better than no miles after having cheesecake for breakfast, right?
Maybe there is a bit of tradition to be established here, though. The reason I ate the cheesecake in the first place was because I have decided to allow myself more little luxuries and enjoy life more. For me, getting out and running four or five miles almost every day is just about the ultimate in luxury. So, maybe that'll be an easy resolution to keep.
Another luxury I afforded myself today: I got out the door bright and early to take Nash to the park. We fed the ducks and played on the slide and just generally enjoyed each other's company.
Then, while grocery shopping, I bought two avocados, some sour cream, green onions and multigrain Tostitos. Later tonight, I'm gonna make myself some guacamole for no reason other than I like guacamole.
So, there!
Happy 2009 friends!

No comments: