Sunday, January 11, 2009

Go long

Wow!
What a great start to a great day!
At 5:45 this morning, I met up with Madelyn, Kristi, Eric, Glen, Mark & Barry for an invigorating run through the streets of Athens. We started at the track and went varying totals...the guys did 10-plus miles but (because I'm a bit of a wimp still) Madelyn, Kristi and I turned back at about six miles and ended up with only 9.25.
We ran pretty steady the whole time at about a 9-minute pace, which certainly isn't fast but that's much longer a run than I've done at all for the past year so I was pleased with it.
Madelyn & Kristi followed up our 9.25 with a couple of treks up and down the steps at the AHS stadium! OUCH! (Of course, I'm looking forward to the time, a few weeks down the road, when I've finally gotten myself back into shape enough to do the steps with them!)
OK, here's a catch-up of my week since that awesome spinning class on Tuesday. Wednesday I ran three miles in the morning then went to the gym in the evening where I did 15 minutes on the elliptical (including that whole backward rotation thing, again, OUCH!) and spent 15 minutes in the sauna.
On Thursday I spent the whole day in a grant-writing workshop and wasn't able to find time for a workout.
Friday I went to the gym and did 10 minutes on the elliptical, another 10 on the treadmill (torture!), five on the weird side-to-side stair stepper thingy, and then 15 or so on the stationary bike followed by another sweatily glorious 15-minutes in the sauna.
Saturday morning I went to the 55-minute spinning class and, of course, the sauna again.
Today, 9.25 miles.
That puts me at 23.6 miles for the year so far. Not much compared to some of my friends who are running 15 to 18 miles each Saturday, but these are my miles, so I'm going to claim them!

No comments: